Monday, October 03, 2005

03 October Orcalab reports:

00:13 PDT Distant calls audible.
We began hearing distant "A1" and "G-I" calls on the Critical Point hydrophone a short while ago... sounds like the A12s, A36s, & at least some of the I31s have returned to Johnstone Strait via Weynton Pass.

03:10 PDT Superb sounds!!
We're still listening to very clear A1 and G-I calls now in the Robson Bight area on the Critical Point hydrophone.

05:32 PDT No calls but orcas nearby
The whales that had been in the Strait changed direction just before the slack tide and travelled back to the entrance of Blackney Pass and then travelled north to Blackfish Sound where they vocalised briefly. We had heard both A1 and I31 calls in the Strait but only clearly heard A12s in Blackfish Sound. However there were enough blows heard in Blackney to possibly account for all the A12s, the I31 pair of I46 & I80 as well as the A36s. All has been quiet since just before 5am. We believe they kept going west into Queen Charlotte Strait with the ebb tide.

13:48 PDT No calls but orcas nearby
We've heard no calls since early this morning, but the A12s, A36s, & part of the I31s (I46, I80) are not far away. They spent the morning just to the north of Blackfish Sound, & are presently near Lizard Point. It's possible they will come back "in" on the flooding tide this afternoon.

20:33 PDT No orcas present.
It apppears that the A12s, A36s and I46 & I80 stayed in Queen Charlotte Strait for the day.

No comments: